Shanghai Queer Film Festival is a new platform for queer cinema, exploring sexuality and expanding gender through screenings of some of the best new films from around the world. A space for filmmakers and audiences to meet, share and engage in what it means to be LGBTQIA.
SHQFF believes in better representation on screen. We seek a diverse and intersectional queer culture in cinema, the dissemination of ideas, dreams and love. We aim to provide filmmakers, especially those of Chinese and Asian backgrounds, with a platform to showcase their work and make their voices heard. Our industry outreach, including panels discussions and networking helps you to take your film further and bring you closer to audiences.
SHQFF is a completely volunteer-run and not-for-profit community event. Events are free and open to all, and we strive to create open and safe discussion spaces for deep engagement with the films and issues. A week of culture, engagement and celebration. We dance to the beat of the screen.
上海酷儿影展（Shanghai Queer Film Festival，简称SHQFF）是一个全新的酷儿电影平台，通过放映世界各地优秀的酷儿新片，探讨性向，延展“性”的无限可能。这是一个为影人与观众打造的平台，让大家聚在一起分享、参与，探索LGBTQIA（同性恋、双性恋、跨性别、酷儿、无性恋、双性人）的各类话题。
Short Film Competition Submission
Submissions for 2017 Short Film Competition is now OPEN!
Submission Regular Deadline(Free): June 8th, 2017
Submit via FilmFreeway:
Submit via Email:
Please send your submission form with related materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for submission guidelines and form
GENERAL ENTRY RULES
- SHQFF only accept films that focus on LGBTQIA subjects either in ASIA or as experienced by ASIAN characters. (‘Asian’ may be interpreted as national, cultural or ethnic identity.)
- Films may be in any language but must include either Chinese or English subtitles.
- All films submitted must have a running time of 40 minutes or less.
- All films must be submitted before June 8th, 2017, and have been produced within 1 years prior to the submission deadline. (That is they must have been produced between June 8th, 2016 and June 8th, 2017).
- All film submissions should be made digitally, not via DVD’s in the post. If you are unable/unwilling to use digital submission, please contact SHQFF as soon as possible. We cannot return DVD entries under normal circumstances.
- Films which have been broadcast on Television, Cable or have had an international theatrical release prior to SHQFF are NOT eligible for the competition but may be screened, out of competition.
Shanghai Queer Film Festival will take place in September, 2017.
Expect a week of screenings, parties, workshops and discussions.
Please check back soon for more information!
Thanks for your interest in volunteering with Shanghai Queer Film Festival! We are an entirely volunteer-based organization with volunteers from all over the world with a variety of expertise areas. We would love to have your help!
We need volunteers in a variety of capacities, from photographers to event staffers. All skills are welcome.
Please use the contact form below to tell us about how you can help!
Are you interested in promoting your business in front of our audience? Let’s talk.
We are a nonprofit, volunteer-based organization. The funds we receive go toward gathering films, creating events, and competition prizes.
We have three types of sponsorship packages available. We are also happy to customize a package for you—contact us on the form below and let us know what you’d like to sponsor.